Langkawi is Malaysia's most revered beach destination - an inspiring collection of untouched islands off the country's west coast. Pulau Langkawi is largest of a handful of inhabited islands in the archipelago and draws sailors, water sports enthusiasts and sun worshippers from around the globe. Endless stretches of powdery white sand mean shoes are definitely optional on a vacation in Langkawi. A backdrop of striking limestone hills and dramatic rocky outcrops adds to the natural splendour, while refined accommodation, fine food and a well developed tourism infrastructure make island life comfortable, convenient and re-assuringly calm.
Considering a villa holiday in Langkawi? Here's some useful information to get you started on your vacation planning.
- Archipelago of about 100 islands located off the coast of the northwestern mainland with no land borders. Water borders: Andaman Sea.
Passport and Visa Information
- Citizens of US, UK, and EU countries may enter Malaysia without a visa for a period of 3 months. For updates and visa requirement information for other countries, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site (www.kln.gov.my)
- Malaysian Ringgit (MYR)
(for exchange rate updates check on www.xe.com)
- Hot and humid year-round, with a rainy season from August to October; dry season from November to March, with the rest of the year fairly dry with occasional light showers.
- International Tourist Arrivals: 1 million (2010 est.)
- Provincial Capital: Kuah
- Country / Area Calling Code(s): +60 / (0)4
- Electricity: 230/240V, 50 Hz
- Type(s) of plug / socket: mainly C, G
- Tourism Malaysia (www.tourism.gov.my)
Now that you've decided on your destination, here are some pointers on how you can get to your Langkawi villa.
- Langkawi International Airport (LGK). Depending on your point of origin, may include a connection in Kuala Lumpur.
Other Means of Arrival
- High speed and regular ferry services connect Langkawi with other areas in Malaysia as well as the Thai province of Satun.
Approximate (Scheduled Flight) Travel Time from:
- Los Angeles: 22hr+ depending on connecting layover
- New York: 23hr+ depending on connecting layover
- London: 14hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Moscow: 17hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Shanghai: 8hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Sydney: 13hr+ depending on connecting layover
Posted by Wayne Hue