EXPLORING KOH SAMUI
Koh Samui is known around the world for its breathtaking palm-fringed beaches, lush forested hillsides and sophisticated tourist amenities. The island's manageable size and close proximity to smaller offshore islands make it a mecca for water sports such as sailing and scuba diving, while on land a plethora of fine dining and upscale entertainment options draws visitors from around the world to enjoy the best in boutique beachside bliss.
Considering a villa holiday in Koh Samui? Here's some useful information to get you started on your vacation planning.
- Island located 80km off the eastern coast of Suratthani province in southern Thailand with no land borders. Water borders: Gulf of Thailand
Passport and Visa Information
- Citizens of US, UK, and EU countries may enter Thailand without a visa for a period of 30 days. For updates and visa requirement information for other countries, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site (www.mfa.go.th).
- Thai Baht (THB)
(for exchange rate updates check on www.xe.com)
- Tropical, with a rainy season from October to December; dry season from January to March; fairly dry from April to September.
- International Tourist Arrivals: 780,000 (2010 est.)
- Administrative Centre: Nathon
- Country / Area Calling Code(s): +66 / (0)77
- Electricity: 220V, 50 Hz
- Type(s) of plug / socket: mainly A, B, C
- Tourism Authority of Thailand (www.tourismthailand.org)
Now that you've decided on your destination, here are some pointers on how you can get to your Koh Samui villa.
- Samui International Airport (USM), served primarily by Bangkok Airways. Depending on your point of origin, may include a connection in Bangkok.
Other Means of Arrival
- High speed ferries from mainland of Suratthani and nearby provinces, and speedboat from nearby islands.
Approximate (Scheduled Flight) Travel Time from:
- Los Angeles: 20hr+ depending on connecting layover
- New York: 22hr+ depending on connecting layover
- London: 13hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Moscow: 12hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Shanghai: 6hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Sydney: 12hr+ depending on connecting layover
Posted by Wayne Hue