An up close and personal encounter with nature - pristine as how it's always been - can still be had in East Malaysia on the island of Borneo. Adventurers from all corners of the world are lured by the island's caves tucked in lush tropical rain forests, and majestic rivers meandering through the land under the watchful eyes of towering mountains. World class diving and a dizzying array of biodiversity can be found both on the land and under the glittering surface of the idyllic sea.
Considering a villa holiday in Borneo? Here's some useful information to get you started on your vacation planning.
- Located 800km off the eastern coast of peninsular mainland, the Malaysian territory of Borneo island occupying the northern third, wrapping around Brunei on the northwest coast and bordering the Indonesia part of the island on the south. Water borders: South China Sea.
Passport and Visa Information
- Citizens of US, UK, and EU countries may enter Malaysia without a visa for a period of 3 months. For updates and visa requirement information for other countries, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site (www.kln.gov.my)
- Malaysian Ringgit (MYR)
(for exchange rate updates check on www.xe.com)
- Warm and humid year-round, with the heaviest monsoon season from October to February.
- State Capitals: Kuching (Sarawak state), Kota Kinabalu (Sabah state)
- Country / Area Calling Code(s): +60 / (0)82 - (0)89 depending on city
- Electricity: 230/240V, 50 Hz
- Type(s) of plug / socket: mainly C, G
- Tourism Malaysia (www.tourism.gov.my)
Now that you've decided on your destination, here are some pointers on how you can get to your Borneo villa.
- Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI) in Sabah state is a major air hub serving East Malaysia. Depending on your point of origin, may include a connection in Kuala Lumpur.
Other Means of Arrival
Approximate (Scheduled Flight) Travel Time from:
- Los Angeles: 19hr+ depending on connecting layover
- New York: 20hr+ depending on connecting layover
- London: 15hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Moscow: 14hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Shanghai: 7hr+ depending on connecting layover
- Sydney: 13hr+ depending on connecting layover
Posted by Wayne Hue